Saturday, February 11, 2012

limericks, maybe?

Tetralogy is a new word for me. But trilogy wasn’t going to work since the book I’ve just finished making is the fourth, not the third.

Still, as cool a word as tetralogy is, it might be more accurate to group book 4 with books 2 and 3, as a trilogy which was preceded by book 1. Book 1 is longer and more complex, but in no capacity less stupid. So, it depends on how you like to categorize, and I like to categorize in a way that lets me use the word tetralogy.

By not going the lazy route and snagging a legit publisher, I get to do my own patchy editing and build my own book covers. This way I can say I’m a bookmaker, and confuse people.

I don’t know what I’ll do next. For now at least, definitely not fiction for middle grade readers. I should have stopped writing fiction for middle grade readers 2½ years ago, after wrapping up the packaging for what was then the trilogy. But once I started #4, I unleashed an inescapable sense of obligation to some fictional people who had only just started to exist. They like their stories to resolve. So, in a carefully blended recipe involving one part implausible and two parts trite, I resolved it.

Well, I will have to do something next. The world can live without more bad fiction from me, but years have proven, repeatedly enough, that I have an essential rda of writing project. Furthermore, there are no more iterations of Portal for PS3, and Epic Mickey 2 won’t be released until the end of 2012. I cannot stand Half Life 2, as one is constantly beset by monsters, or security thugs firing guns, so there—I’m out of options. Bored babysitters go insane, and that won’t do anyone any good. So...something. Just not middle grade fiction.

Pentalogy is just not quite such a fun word.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

There once was a wise Emily
Whose new word was "tetrology."
Link 4 with 2,3
Add 1 as a pre-
And her fiction's a fete accompli.

Emily said...

Very nice. Don't be anonymous. Anonymous keeps calling me on the phone on an 888 line which I steadfastly refuse to answer.

Anonymous said...

Anonymity once was my scene
But I don't want to seem like a fiend
So I'll try to sign in
To a new Google bin
In the meantime, my name is Christine

Emily said...

Let me say, Christine (now that you're known,)
You've got rhyme chops to rival my own,
I hope it don't shock ye
That I'm a wee cocky,
But at least I threw you half the bone.

Fred in the Green said...

Once you're past four, it's a series. Kudos!
My son has a whole raft of RPGs that you might enjoy. Ask Gabe.

Emily said...

Hi Fred. Well, except in that I have now written a tetralogy of books, they are not a series in the sense that any one is related to any of the others. The 4 mark does feel, at least, like something of an accomplishment though.

I have started playing Bioshock, which is one Gabe was also interested in. Interesting setting--an Objectivist Underwater Utopia gone to seed. But not something I can play much after dark by myself. A little creepy.

kirkland said...

Half a bone to nibble and gnaw
and bury and re-find - ha ha!
Like my Alz friend
I'll do it again
And again and again till I'm raw.

Anonymous said...

Half a bone to nibble and gnaw
Then to bury and re-find - aha!
Like my Alz friend
I'll do it again
And again and again till I'm raw.

(I tried a new google account
But one problem I cannot surmount:
to prove that I'm not
some clever robot.
So "anonymous" shall remain my fount.)

European Prof said...

Born as I was when I was young,
I spoke with just one mother tongue
But now I've got
What I had not
A polyglot's four times the fun.

(My poor attempt at self-disclosing poetry).

Emily said...

I SHOULD juggle four lingos with ease,
having studied French and Japanese,
plus some Spanish to boot,
but it won't quite compute,
Sayonara, my brain tends to freeze.