Friday, February 24, 2012

ok, I did it.

On Thursday morning, I actually walked into the Café du Monde, then left, deciding that I needed something other than carbs with extra sugar for breakfast. The menu took me by surprise. Like a walk-up stand at Disney World, it had a very focused and limited selection--coffee, o.j., beignets. I think that’s about it, although they do offer a choice as to whether you’d like your coffee au lait, or black. The whole thing was a little Disneyesque in the sense that it seemed a bit too packaged...a little too Mary Poppins to be a local breakfast. Except for this: Café du Monde had real chipped paint on its cove molding, and genuine slight tinge of high-usage grime on its surfaces. At Disney these would have been present only in the form of artfully faked wear and tear.

Nevertheless, having been advised by at least 3 people that this must be part of my adventure, I went back there this morning on my way to the bicycle tour. And I sat, and ordered a coffee (the New Orleans kind, complete with chicory,) and the requisite serving of 3 beignets (whereas 1.5 would have been perfect.)

So now I’m am qualified to say: beignets are very tasty. Every once in a while carbs with extra sugar aren’t a terrible thing.

No comments: