Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Orleans, day 1

They say that plenty of being on your feet can help stave off many illnesses, including Alzheimer’s*. If this is so, I won’t be succumbing today, at least. (*means that my fellow AD spouses know to take this kind of advice with a larger than average grain of salt. Still, I’ll take the other health benefits, regardless.)

My feet were a little complainy today, by late afternoon, since I did not give them a break except for one round-trip streetcar ride.

There is quite a different character to the touristy parts of New Orleans at 7:30 am, compared to 3:00 pm. I will say that I liked the early hour better, except in that later, when the streets are mobbed with humans, I feel fairly certain that I will not stand out as the weakest zebra in the pack to a bag snatcher. Not that I saw anyone wearing a t-shirt labeled “bag snatcher,” but it’s the sort of thing people warn you about, so I went prepared. This is the first time I’ve toted a slim under-the-clothes pouch to stash my reserve cash, i.d., and credit card just in case. No point having a hassle getting home.

Then I went and did the dumbest. Hit one of those brain potholes and left my phone in the room when I headed out for my second-to-last stroll of the day. Not so bad, except that I didn’t know I did that, so had to take my French Market blackened catfish po-boy to go, so I could come back and check. Phew. Not bad, blackened catfish po-boys. There. I’ve had my Cajun food.

I will say this about Tulane University--if you want a large school and/or are interested in an area of study they happen to offer, it would be hard not to want to go there after a visit to the campus. Of course, I want to go to every college, nevermind my agedness.

No comments: