Saturday, August 20, 2011

tired? yes.

Tonight—5th floor of the O Henry hotel, Greensboro, NC. Different side, different view of office buildings and minor highways from our last stay. Jeff seems to be deriving some enjoyment from gazing out at the twilight panorama, and that’s a pretty good deal for someone who’s required me to reorient him to what, why and where at least three times today.

I am somewhat tickled by the geeky mix of completely un-preppy dweeby types I’ve seen milling around in our return to Greensboro. Of course where I saw the most was near our dinner locale which happens to be a strip of funky dives surrounded by the UNC Greensboro campus, but I trust that the general vibe of oddball kids extends to Guilford, a couple miles or so down the road, as well. Gabe was a fan of any place that offers numerous varieties of tea drinks including chocolate-banana, green apple, and mango bango. (In addition to udon noodle soup.)

Ok, that was Wednesday night. Tonight, as in when I’m typing right now, is Saturday night. We got back from Greensboro on Thursday night, after getting Gabe unloaded into his dorm (Binford Hall, conveniently located a few steps from the IT Building where I hope he can work out how to print his schoolwork, since I did not leave him equipped with a printer to jam all up.) But tonight, Saturday night, I’m about as tired as the old toothbrush I’ve been using to clean sink drains. I guess I should be over the two consecutive days of 6.5 hour drives, but I may not quite be over the caffeine gum I chewed and the strong iced coffee I got at the Charlottesville Whole Foods Market. Nor have I figured out how to process the critical threshold we seem to have crossed which has taken Jeff from being sort of a manageable extra pet to keep an eye on, to being an energy draining appendage. Jeff likes to ask everyone he sees on a college campus where they're from. It's just that now he has absolutely no discernment as to when to use the question and on whom. So he's apt to ask the Public Safety ladies lining the stairway into Binford Hall, as 3 dads and 2 kids are trying to go opposite directions carrying boxes and refrigerators. Or he asks the SunTrust guy who's trying to set up student checking accounts. I know, it's not quite as weird as last night when he told my bedside lamp goodnight, but it's one of many forms of mischief I need to keep him out of. Well, so I’m tired.

So tomorrow, after I finish cutting 600 or so tickets for the Concert Association, I will maybe start transforming Gabe’s room into Jeff’s room. Because here’s what I’m telling myself: I’m telling myself that I will begin the process of arranging for help two days a week after I get at least the downstairs sorted out, bedroom-wise.

1 comment:

Fred in the Green said...

"Tired as the old toothbrush..." I love it. There are a lot worse questions he could be asking than "where are you from?". A lot worse. So, anyway, tired, yes, but RIGHTEOUS tired.