Tuesday, August 30, 2011

on stuff.

I’m feeling a sense of calm today that is not fully explainable by the fact that the deprivations of the aftermath of hurricane Irene (living electricity, television, telephone, and internet-free,) seem to have officially ended this afternoon. I think it has more to do with the fact that I’ve once again tackled the basement.

About two years ago I took on the basement in its scarier form—the state it was in as Jeff’s continued collecting of building materials overlapped with his loss of awareness and organizational ability. That was big. This time it’s just about items on which I equivocated at the time, plus two years of entropy.

Even so, it fell into that category of chores you hesitate to take on because they seem daunting. Like most things in that category, once you start it’s not so bad. It’s not so bad. I’ve got a good foothold on the whole of the task, and it will be completed.

Meanwhile, our two downstairs bedrooms are spare and orderly. One is Jeff’s new room. He hasn’t technically moved in yet, but we are using it for changing and showers. The other is the “office,” (formerly the computer room, but now housing only my laptop plus an assortment of business related necessities.) It will also serve as a bed-chamber for sleepover caregivers, as the need arises. I am almost giddy about the relative emptiness of those two rooms, combined with the fact that our lawn mowers, just this afternoon, blew away all of Irene’s leaves and debris, and removed the stack of branches I’d piled up by the silver maple.

I am wondering why this pleases me so very much. Why is a not-so-inherently-tidy person like myself so comforted by the removal of stuff?

Wherever you fall on the clutter-tolerance scale, I am convinced that our habits derive from comfort-seeking behavior. My brother-in-law Fred (who is probably reading this—hi Fred,) likes his stuff. And he would like some more stuff, thank you. In fact, I think his Barbie Dream House would have a huge pink barn (maybe 3) out back, for stuff storage. (Fred might prefer if I rethink this fantasy in a Johnny West ranch doll theme.) Fred cannot believe the stuff I’ve gotten rid of with an almost sacrilegious insouciance. Because I presume that for Fred, having a galvanized, etched, 18th C. cotton gin cog handy when or if you need it is a source of comfort.

My mother-in-law was not dissimilar. She could not keep a barnload of objects as she moved into progressively smaller living quarters, but getting her to part with even a shrimp fork took a pry-bar and perhaps some sleight of hand. Or major distraction.

But I am not comforted by stuff. In fact, if they were looking for volunteers to have all their earthly possessions obliterated (house included) in exchange for a couple of free airline tickets, my hand would go up first. I’m not sure I’ve completely worked out why this is. But I can tell you that too much stuff, in my jurisdiction, makes me feel trapped. The more stuff, the more trapped. I don’t exactly know what I’m trapped in either. Trapped in stuff, I guess.

In the hullaballoo of hurricane Irene, I realized I’d make a terrible survivalist, because I don’t want all those emergency provisions. And that is ok, I don’t mind. If apocalyptic survival is for the most stuff-equipped, I will go first. It’s ok.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I agree. I get a deep sense of relief every time I go to the dump. Which makes for an interesting paradox at home.

Anonymous said...

Wow, congrats. I am familiar with the giddy feeling of which you speak. I have experienced it recently myself. For eight (count them EIGHT) years I have been paying ransom for a storage bin (which I have named Omama Been Laden [with a long a]) and during those years, epochs of transition have been mirrored by the relative fullness/emptiness of the bin (a change of residence, the death of my sister, the death of my mother, the AD dx of my partner).

Two days ago I made a dent and a plan. I'm feeling like the ambivalence I hold toward All This Stuff is shifting. Now it's "Please just hand me a pitchfork." And then a blindfold. And then a glass of wine. Liberation is smelling sweet.