Tuesday, August 09, 2011

plants and ants and trees and seas...

I am so due to write a Fisher Center blogpost. But too busy to formulate and sustain a thesis. So I’ll just ad lib here instead.

Today, at 1:33pm, when Jeff had just gotten up from a nap, he made a request that went something like this: Can I have a...drink...something to drink? At this point I try to ascertain whether he wanted orange juice, coffee or exactly what. No...not that...this is ridiculous...that stuff...I have it once a day...it’s a drink...Chardonnay!

This, actually, is something of an edited version of the actual conversation which at the time seemed pretty protracted, but I’ve typed enough ellipses. It’s just one of those markable moments. Not brand new really—I’ve been observing an increase the difficulty he has articulating thoughts for a couple months, but this one was marked. And also it highlighted the fact that he often has no clue as to time of day, since he is disinclined to request his glass of wine prior to 5pm.

Well, there you go, that’s what happens. I sometimes view the creep of Alzheimer’s dysfunction like a fog, rolling ever so slowly into new segments of the brain, trackable by external symptoms.

Meanwhile, I’m trying to put in a few months, or perhaps a few years, of being a grown up. Finally, perhaps. This is measurable by the fact that my yard looks groomed, a dead tree is down, and I am fully engaged in the hiring and management of an assortment of contractors. This might mean I can put my house on the market in the interest of switching to a lower-maintenance dwelling, or it might just mean I’m tired of feeling out of control and I’m just taking charge, money be damned. But you really can’t keep damning money, which takes us back to the lower-maintenance dwelling. When? Not sure. Check back. Never is one of the possibilities, but not the one I expect.

Our week at the Outer Banks of North Carolina was a fine one. Several days of gentle, navigable surf, and tolerable heat. Nice family too. It’s annual, and another one of those events that differs enough from the usual day to day life that you can use it to note the changes in a person who’s losing ground.

Last year Jeff went in the waves. Not for long, and I stayed with him, but I was not fearful that he would fall down. Big change in 12 months. Last week, a swoosh of foamy surf around his ankles would cause him to topple forward, and the one time I took him waist deep on a very gentle day he was quite discombobulated. I held him up and led him out. Katherine and I observed the obvious hazard on our last two beach days, when the waves were rolling in at random choppy angles. I could not let go of him in ankle deep water, as it quickly morphed to knee deep water, and we had zero confidence that Jeff would be able to stand up once he toppled.

I resorted to the method of beach-going my grandmother enjoyed in her declining years. I seated Jeff in a low-slung chair, just where the waves rolled ashore, so he could feel them but be in no danger of falling. He was happy.


No comments: