Sunday, November 14, 2010

say what?


Jeff loves to listen to a Bill Bryson book. Any Bill Bryson book. But The Mother Tongue: English and how it got that way has probably (by page 90 out of 245) been our biggest challenge to date.

We are firmly into Chapter 6: "Pronunciation." I am already reading with the exaggerated enunciation of a Henry Higgins protégé, but that isn't quite doing it. I try, for example, to read the following passage:

"...when bits are nicked off the front end of words it's called aphesis, when off the back it's called apocope, and when from the middle it's syncope."
The reading of it doesn't go off quite as smoothly as vanilla ice cream. Rather, I carefully iterate a key term--apocope--and the following conversation ensues:

Jeff: "what?"

Me: "apocope."

Jeff: "escarfee?"

Me: "No, ay-pah-co-pee."

Jeff: "Oh, calumny."

Me: "NO...AY-PAH-CO-PEEE!"

Jeff: "Right, ok...papeerollee..."

Me: "shuddup."

Mind you...my last line in the above dialog was completely uncalled for, and I apologized right away. But this illustrates the basic challenge of this book as read-aloud material for us. It is, compared to some of Bryson's lighter narratives, quite academic and quite full of segments which call for a keen ability to differentiate amongst subtle distinctions in pronunciation, as well as an ability grasp certain points by picturing spellings in your head as I read. Hence, as we're dealing with the twin deficits of so-so hearing and seriously compromised processing capacity, I keep wondering if we should persist, or switch to something a little easier where getting the gist is generally enough.

But Jeff continues to want to listen, and does not seem to frustrate. That's all me. Plus, I'd like to read it, and this smallish trade-paperback with undersized print is neither going to stay open nor be legible on the elliptical console, so read-aloud is my best shot.

Besides, Chapter 7 is not called "Pronunciation," it is called "Varieties of English." Chapter 8 is called "Spelling." Maybe we can skip it. And maybe it doesn't help that we tend to combine reading time with 5 o'clock glass o'wine time.

But for now we will persist. Besides, when we come to unfathomable words in Welsh or Gaelic I have the enormous privilege of pronouncing them however I like, and Jeff just laughs.

2 comments:

Martin said...

While I love Bill Bryson's books, Mother Tongue is for me his hardest read.

I can thoroughly recommend his latest, At Home.

Emily said...

I did buy "At Home," and it is patiently waiting for me to finish "Mother Tongue." The incentive is strong!