Wednesday, November 10, 2010

grounded but ready...

I didn't want to buy the wrong suitcase. Which is how it came to pass that I spent a creditable chunk of both today and yesterday researching specs and reviews of a variety of roll-aboards.

I've had my navy blue L.L.Bean model at least since 2000, when the entire family set out for 10 days in England pulling (with the exception of Jeff--always an inveterate duffel lugger,) 5 navy blue international regulation carry-on sized cases, and nothing more, on the pack-less-than-you-need theory. I recall waffling, to the last minute, over whether to stuff in a zip-front wool blend sweater, and being mighty glad that I did since I wore it about every July day we were in the UK.

That case has accompanied me on quite a few jaunts since then, so it was with some dismay that I noted--as I stowed the luggage in our Amtrak Capitol Limited bedroom--that sizeable chunks of a wheel from my suitcase were turning up all over the industrial berber low-loop carpeting of the compartment. It was the outer shell, it turned out, of a wheel made in two layers, and I spent the remainder of the trip pulling it on the remaining inner portion of the wheel. Not difficult, but a wee lopsided.

I am somewhat committed, it seems, to flying with just carry-ons whenever I can. I realize that the rest of the world is also, which makes for some overhead compartment competition at the worst of times, but I knew one thing--that I required a replacement case that would easily pass the ubiquitous airport "is your carry-on small enough?" test.

I checked Amazon, I checked Travelsmith, I checked Magellan's. Today we even popped by the AAA office to see what was on hand, and inspected a few things at The Leather Store. (Which should actually be called The Luggage Store since it's way more about luggage than it is about leather.) I ended up placing two orders--one with Magellan's, one with Amazon--and should, by next week or so, end up with an Eagle Creek Hovercraft 20 roll-aboard, which--though a little short at 20"--compensates by being 16" wide. Additionally, I will make a PacSafe backpack serve as my "personal item," since it's small enough to squish under the seat, but large enough to hold a netbook, reading material, and whatever other sundries I need to transfer into a smaller Eagle Creek Travel Bug backpack once I reach a destination.

The thing that I don't have, is any travel plans whatsoever. I don't see this problem being correctible before Spring, and not in any big way, at that. When the new stuff comes, I may just have to fill it up with laundry and a cat and tote it around the house in the spirit of (but lack of, in any reality-based way) adventure

No comments: