Saturday, November 06, 2010

maybe it's silvery, not gilded.

Two weeks ago, in the moments during which I was concluding that the top bunk of the bedroom compartment on the Amtrak Southwest Chief made for an ungainly platform from which to help Jeff with his middle of the night bathroom needs, I became aware that I'd shifted. I don't mean that I did the shifting in that moment--in fact, in the top bunk, I could barely shift at all. The headroom allowed for crunches, but not sit-ups, and one had to perform a motion much like that of a pole vaulter twisting her body so that she'll land feet first to even consider climbing down from the bed.

No, the shift I noticed was something that had already happened, but I'd yet to take heed of and shake hands with it. It was a particular milestone I'd reached in the gradual translocation of emotional tectonic plates that comes with Alzheimer's spousing. I looked down from that fold-up bunk and thought two thoughts: The first was that it would be easier and more comfortable if we both just squished into the lower bunk. The second was that I was happy to do so because it was easier to do my job from close-up. The job of caregiving. The job of helping find the bathroom and providing middle of the night reassurances to a disoriented mind.

It may seem a little strange to say that I've finally shifted, after 6+ years of diminishing cognitive function on Jeff's part, into the role of caregiver. I've been doing it for some time, 'tis true. But I didn't own the job. I didn't particularly want the job. And approaching the caregivee with the emotional closeness that enabled me to contentedly switch bunks was the new thing.

When a life partner slips from your grasp such that he is sometimes not, then rarely, then never your mind-mate again, you might, like I have, start to seal off the emotional receptor places that were shaped to receive feedback from him. Those spots are safely coated with several thick layers of New-Skin®, liquid bandage for the soul, and--like that gilded room in Captain Von Trapp's fancy chateau--nobody goes there, dammit. There are some rooms in this house we just don't use.

So, when I felt the impulse that propelled me (carefully and stepwise) from the upper bunk to the lower (other than the practical one,) I recognized it as a new row of emotional crops. Ones that have been growing, and emitting tiny whiffs of their usefulness since they sprouted, but not so much that I really understood how they worked or what you could do with them until that moment. This crop is not from the gilded room (nobody goes there, still,) but they come from another room, almost as nice and certainly better outfitted for the task at hand.

I didn't know I had that room, and now it seems I do. And it also seems that it was on our trip westward that the construction crew ripped down the final piece of plastic dropcloth, allowing me ready access. I still don't particularly want the job, any more than I want presbyopia, or pets with skin allergies, or bamboo poking through the fence in the backyard. But it's my job, and I appreciate the tools.

No comments: