Tuesday, November 30, 2010

on not forgetting to remember everything

Today Becca and I almost lost our newly purchased socks and tights at The Fresh Market grocery store. A composite of what each of us was 97% certain we remembered suggested that the small shopping bag from South Moon Under (an overpriced, except for socks, boutique,) disappeared somewhere between our entering Fresh Market with a double-decker two-basket shopping cart, and getting to the check-out. We found it a bit surprising that someone sneakily lifted our bag while we were selecting apples, or considering yogurt, but it was the only plausible explanation.

Still, once we got home and realized we were without hosiery, I called the store to see if such a bag had mysteriously turned up. Not yet, I was told, but they took my name and number. Within an hour the call came. Our bag had turned up in a random abandoned cart in the store. This meant that during the two and a half minutes that Becca and I were both in the ladies room at the same time, Jeff had managed to switch the cart he had been entrusted to stand with for another empty cart--identical except for the presence of our socks bag in one, and its absence of the other.

The most intriguing thing about this for me is not that it happens, but how things like this seem more likely to happen than not, given half a chance. Not that we like to blame Jeff too much--neither of us, after all, thought about the socks bag until we got home--but it is illustrative of the concept that I’m more apt to slack off in my diligence when I have a fellow Jeff-watcher along on the outing. I stop trying to remember everything I might ostensibly have the slightest cause to remember.

It was just as well anyway. Becca wanted everything bagels, which we’d forgotten on trip #1, and I also grabbed a couple canisters of wipes, which are useful for cleaning the floor up after Otis the kitty, who--when he poos--aims about 18” north of his litter box. Bad kitty.

No comments: