Monday, April 23, 2007

paddling

Finally the weather accommodated my itch to take the red canoe out on its maiden voyage. Since we did not declare it unsinkable, karma felt no need to subject us to icebergs or other unexpected hazards, though we did hit one rubber buoy and veer closer to a hawk's nest than she would have preferred judging from her posture as she squawked at us.

I do believe we need a captain's hat we can pass back and forth. I'm unsure whether it should be a black one with a jolly roger, or an Indian chief headdress, but in either case the wearer would be eligible to call the directional shots without being considered a control freak. When it's Jeff's turn we could steer relentlessly into piers or moored sailboats. During my turn I would be able to say “Hey, maybe we should paddle on the left a few strokes just until we clear those pilings.”

Instead, and most unfortunately, I felt compelled to continuously suggest a directional change or point straight ahead and say “we're going that way!” knowing full well that at least one of the two people in the canoe believed I was being my usual bossy self. It didn't help that to start today's adventure the canoe needed to be lashed to the Soobie roof rack with two cinch straps which worked by a simple pinch and thread (as in thread it through once) mechanism. Jeff was clearly struggling a bit with the buckle but would not let me take over even though I asked very nicely several times throughout the ten minutes it took him to secure it convolutedly enough for his satisfaction. My toes were curling, oh yes they were. So when it came time to release the straps at the beach I undid mine and resorted to the subterfuge of pulling the buckle to the other side of the car, running around, and undoing his before he could get around to start messing with it. There are probably some excellent reasons why I am not a kindergarten teacher.

But what a great outing it was, despite our conflicting navigational styles (that is, picking a direction and going in it versus picking a seawall and running into it.) We saw an assortment of large birds which I should be able to identify but can't. We saw just how much stuff wealthy waterfront landowners have to maintain. (Including, I believe, Pat Sajak, but I cannot vouch for the fact that the spread with the brick stairs widening voluptuously toward the boathouse was his.) And we got a mighty fine upper body workout which I'm going to feel like crazy tomorrow.

No comments: