Thursday, April 19, 2007

how are you doing?

This is how Jeff phrases the question. It's a kind of random, out of the blue inquiry and my typical response is something along the lines of “I'm fine thanks. How are you?” He may ask several times a day, and his intentions are the very best, but it's been clear for a long time, even a long time pre-diagnosis, that even if my standard response is not always entirely honest, there is nothing to be gained by answering any other way.

As an interesting parallel, many who know of Jeff's situation will ask me the same question--the variation being that they put a heavier emphasis on the word you. “How are you doing?” They understand, wisely, that no one in a similar chapter of life could be completely “fine thanks,” and asking is a way to demonstrate that recognition. But pardon me, if you ever find yourself asking. I'm still most likely to say “fine thanks.”

And why wouldn't I? Because I am fine. (thanks!) Now it is undeniably true that my status quo boat is floating with its keel a little lower than it was a few years ago, but so are lots of peoples' for lots of reasons. I have swell kids. Four of 'em. (Well…we do wonder what the heck might become of a 15 year old boy who apart from a keen fondness for anime dramas and fantasy novels is a bit of a slug. But he's a good person. Gotta trust it'll add up to something.) My house is--for the first time in a decade plus--a very nice, and comfortable, place to dwell. And the odds are that if I manage well and frugally, I will not need to get a job at Trader Joe's at the exact moment that Jeff becomes most in need of my availability. So, while Jeff's diagnosis is inarguably horrendous, I find that I'm set up to manage it as well as anyone could.

But…in the interest of disclosure for those who'd really want to know: The most difficult thing about this is the reason I will almost always say “fine thanks,” to Jeff's regularly scheduled question. An early loss among the many faculties that diminish in a person with his illness is an ability to empathize. I don't mean that they have to become mean or unpleasant. Jeff is, as always, a fine person who asks how I'm doing because he wants me to be doing well. But, there is a quality to interacting with another person--particularly one with whom you are very close--which I will call “being on the same page.” That is, you can share things with that person and you know, that at least for that moment, he understands you. He is on the same wavelength. You are vibing. You are communicating at a deeper level. This can be what makes a relationship great, and nurturing, even if you have your bad moments. This is something that requires the higher cognitive function called empathy. This is something that people with Jeff's condition can't do. It is a huge, completely unquantifiable, loss.

And other than that, I am fine thanks.

No comments: