Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cardinal does not rule.

Leg #1 (Washington Union Station to Chicago,) began with me taking pains to get us on the road early enough in the morning that we’d have at least 2 options for commuter trains from Baltimore to D.C. That worry in the bag, it was easy to relax at Union Station. Now we’re aboard the Amtrak Cardinal, which cuts a clockwise arc as it swings us south a bit en route to Chicago.

The Cardinal employs an older car model--a Viewliner--where I feel a bit more squished for space than on the Superliners with which I’m familiar. I am wondering how Amtrak divvies up the relative service levels of their cross-country routes...who gets the newer digs, an observation car, and helpful route maps in every cabin, and why are others a bit on the cut-rate side?

Nevermind. There are some lovely backyards in mid-Virginia, and plenty of debris piles as well. We’re glad to see it all. Now, my intention is to be doing my Japanese workbook. Luckily I brought a pencil so Mom can do her crossword puzzle. Between our cabins (A&B) is a pocket door which the cabin attendant, Shawna, had now unlocked 3 times for us, as it likes to slide shut from the rocking of the train. Presently, it is blocked with Mom’s suitcase. (photo: Mom, through the opened door between cabins.)

I wondered aloud to Mom whether this was a bit of a silly trip to be taking her on. She says of course not. She’s a trooper. Jeff, meanwhile, is wondering if it’s time for a Chardonnay yet. Evidently, not-reading Warren Buffett and the Interpretation of Financial Statements is not sufficiently riveting. Yes, I’m sure wine will be available with dinner unless wine doesn’t make the Cardinal’s somewhat stripped-down amenity cut.

Thursday observations: On the Cardinal Viewliner, dining car table service can be a bit sluggish. Breakfast, to be served to any comer from the room or roomette section of the train, appears to be managed by one young lady doing the order taking, cooking, and serving. We had nowhere to go, fortunately, and watched Indiana farms roll by while our tummies rumbled and breakfast, in spare form, finally came. Take home point: Had the Amtrak Cardinal been my first cross-country train venture, I would not have been quite as enthusiastic to try again. Next up: The Empire Builder. I’m banking on the 2/3 chance that it will remind me more of October’s experience.

No comments: