Friday, November 20, 2009

eReading

Let’s deviate from existential angst and situational bellyaching for a spell, and give 3 cheers for technology.

I’m aware that not everyone--self-proclaimed Luddite friends, and frustrated relatives being notable exceptions--will want to cheer, but I’m going to do it anyway. Ok, I know that Amazon is big and unwieldy, is taking over the world, and will soon change it’s name to Buy-N-Large (or Monsanto...not sure which,) but--for the moment at least (or until I notice they’ve implanted a chip in my brain via “Whispernet,”)--I’m delighted by my newly discovered ability to share already-purchased Kindle books between the Kindle itself and my iPhone. Using free-to-download Stanza software.

Here’s why I experienced a minor note of insignificant frustration prior to this discovery: Kindle downloads are roughly $10, minus a cent or two. Certain ones--sometimes very large files or very new and popular titles can exceed this amount, and others (such as the complete Les Mis) can be dirt cheap. But, having acquired Stanza software free on my iPhone, I observed--upon scanning the online catalogs for books of interest--that most ebooks that are not public domain, are carrying a price tag in the $26 echelon.

So today, as I was scouting for a downloadable edition of something that has caught my eye: Fingerprints of God, by Barbara Bradley Hagerty, I was also contemplating whether I’d prefer to Kindle it, or try it out on the iPhone reader (which has the advantage of being with me at, essentially, all times, but would not serve well as distraction on the elliptical trainer. That is the Kindle’s job.)

For $9.99 I could instantaneously download the title onto my Kindle. For $27 I could get it on Stanza. Not such a tough call, but a curious dichotomy that set me to googling why. And I google-stumbled across the previously-unknown-to-me fact that Amazon bought Stanza, and if I simply download (free) Kindle software onto my iPhone, then I can also access everything I’ve already purchased for Kindle. (seems fair, true.)

Anyone who’s wondering whether this kind of stuff is all I have to worry about maybe doesn't know me. What this kind of stuff provides is a fun distraction from the other stuff, and I share it here with the tootly fanfare of a digitized trumpet, as is appropriate given the subject matter.

Yes. I admit in all dorkiness and apologetic contrition and tendency to create redundant phrases just because they sound cool that I’m an iPhone junkie now. (who, for example, could not love a device on which you can play a game called "Ragdoll Blast," where you complete physics puzzles by shooting ragdolls out of a cannon?)

Regrettably though, even if I turn out to like the new book, I have no way to share it with you.

2 comments:

Martin said...

The question is, why does ANY download cost even $10? Once it's been digitalised, there is no cost to the provider, so it should be a great deal cheaper than buying an ink-and-paper book.

Emily said...

You would think. OTOH, I have read arguments as to why what seems a high price is actually fair, but darned if I can remember the explanation well enough to give a synopsis.