Tuesday, September 01, 2009

I think the quantum foam got big.

It’s funny that I only discovered the value of TextEdit this year, when I had to do ftp uploads. I’ve had some silly old floppy disks sitting around in files of old, containing--in an obsolete format--the book I’ve been tediously retyping chapter by chapter. Because, no, Pages 2008 cannot interpret 8 year old AppleWorks documents. Neither can Office Mac 2004. BUT....TextEdit, that little bare-boned, no nonsense, friend of file-transfer-protocols? It’s the little engine that could. Then, one need simply cut and paste from TextEdit to Pages, and--voila--maybe I don’t have to retype the entire remaining 15 chapters. Edit, yes. Check for discrepancies between the saved copy and the hard copy, yes. But type it all? Maybe not.

Ants...have I mentioned them? They like the pears Ollie brought from his yard. Quite a bit. I cannot rinse them all off--they must go inside, like James and the Giant Peach. So, I put the pears on the front porch, and am offering the ants Terro instead. What is it with ants this year anyway? I hope it’s a fluke.

I need art. Can I do my own? Iffy. Maybe. If I stare at Quentin Blake illustrations a bit more, perhaps I’ll absorb a smidge of creative zest.

The ground feels shaky lately. There are surely some subtle seismic shifts shuffling the latest status quo, and what the shape of the new landscape will be, I cannot guess. Probably won’t even hold still enough to take a reading. Hold onto your hats, boys and girls, and get comfy with regression, and pouring the orange juice, because this escalator only goes one way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck with absorbing some of that creativity! I have always loved Quentin Blake! I was very excited to see the new "Time for a Rhyme" feature in the September Storybox book, illustrated by non other than Quentin! http://www.storyboxbooks.com/ The new feature "Time for a Rhyme" presents a read-aloud celebration of poetry and art for children and publishing these pages, StoryBox supports the International Board of Books for Young People (IBBY) , a non for profit organization working to defend every child's right to read.