Thursday, June 07, 2007

thoughts del día

There are times when I’d be less bothered by the old Kohl’s guy wandering around asking people if they want to open Kohl’s charge accounts, but right when I’m fondling the bras to see which ones have the right type of push-up pads is not what I’d call the opportune moment, and I doubt if it was for the other 6 women in the bra department either.

Jeff bought 4 pepper sprays, and attached little cards to them with hints about gouging assailants’ eyes and whatnot. I said “well...I’ll put it in the car.” Olivia said “EWWW! I’m not carrying that! Then she demonstrated how she holds her car key ready to take a creep’s eye out with an over-the-shoulder swipe. But she put the pepper spray in her glove drawer. I gently explained that it will not be practical to send one to Rachel in Panama, and Becca probably ought not to have one in a cabin full of young campers, so they’ll just have to wait ‘til they get home to register their opinions of their dad’s concern du jour.

What is it about a rabbit that says “eat me?” Freddi is blasé about squirrels and barely attentive to birds, even if they flitter off right in front of her. But rabbits? Now there’s some excitement. Well, to be fair, ducks generate a little interest too.

I tried to wrestle the canoe onto the car roof rack myself yesterday. Of course Doris Dunker across the street said "wait, wait, I'll go get Don!" and I said "No no! I'm conducting an experiment." Of course Gordon drove by from admiring a house (with no waterfront and less grounds) which he secretly wants and offered to help, and I again pleaded "experiment." But finally, I had to abort the experiment and wait 'til Jeff could come out and hoist an end. If I didn't mind removing a goodly bit of car paint and adding a few dents I could probably do it, but as it is, I'm merely left with a pulled muscle in my ribcage. So I bought a wheeled canoe/kayak dolly. You put it under the canoe, about 2/3 of the way back, and pull the other end. Easy. I think. We've yet to truck it down to the beach by that method, but I think it'll be good.

No comments: