Sunday, January 30, 2011

It's a lot of different things, actually.

Not that I’ve been a terrible slacker where exercise is concerned, but my mom’s recent report of less-than-optimal bone density has galvanized my determination to hit the elliptical as close to daily as possible. It helps tremendously when I’m reading something equally galvanizing on my Kindle, and What is America? by Ronald Wright is doing a pretty good job of motivating me to step and read.

Rachel recently brought home a couple of elementary school textbooks from the 60s (My era. The books look awfully familiar, even if they weren’t the specific ones we used in Mrs. Randall’s 3rd grade classroom.) They brightly remind me of what a blond and Eurocentric world of childhood memes I grew up surrounded by.

Ronald Wright’s relatively analytical retelling of the cultural behaviors and histories which led to the launch of the U.S. is not going to be a staunch latter day patriot’s cup of tea, but as much as I enjoy visiting the courage, follies, and struggles of early Americans through such venues as HBO’s John Adams series, it would be disingenuous of any fair-minded person not to look, with honest eyes open, at the perspectives of all the peoples involved in the settling and expansion of the U.S.

That’s what Wright does in this book, tracing cultural tendencies and clashes back a good ways, into the religious and political (usually the same thing,) maelstrom of Britain and Europe into how it all spilled over onto the turf of the New World.

Thus far, there are only 11 reviews of What is America? on Amazon, with the only 1-star reviewer bashing Wright’s book as an anti-American rant. Which doesn’t surprise me. Because it removes, utterly, the whitewash which was splattered thickly over history as it was presented to young minds, mid-20th century, (which is the only educational era I can vouch for with first-person accuracy.)

I’m not going to rant anti-Americanly either...because I’m not anti-American. But I am willing to face what seems obvious--that humans, as cultural groups, are and have always been driven by ambitions and methods that seem to defy the good-heartedness of people I know individually. There were always eye-witness voices willing to state--with refreshing candor--the facts of what occurred to clear the path for America as it exists today. But I don’t think they read us those voices and accounts in 1967.

And as for now--and as for ever--all any individual spawned into a point in history can do is say “Here’s where we are. Here’s how we got here. What did we do well? What did we do poorly? And what can we do better?” Then you vote.

3 comments:

Rachel Clement said...

yup

Martin said...

I'm catching up with American History in occasional forays. You are probably familiar with "Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James Loewen.

Emily said...

I have heard of that book, but not read it. Just checked Amazon: Turns out the Kindle version is only $4.51. Now I know what I'll be reading next!