Thursday, August 05, 2010

off we go...


Let your internet connection break down for a couple of odd days, and you'll find out whether you've developed a dependency or not. I had no question about myself, but I was interested (though not completely surprised) when, two days into the dark time when Comcast failed us, all 3 girls bundled up their laptops and trundled off to Panera to re-establish all required connections.

This, as I understand it, is what they're up to as I type. I am jiggling along the northbound track of the Washington D.C. to Boston corridor, en route to Gabe's college (phase 1...The Gap Year) orientation.

Here is a snapshot of our conversation in the car, pre-Amtrak station: Gabe: ...but the real reason "Darksiders" (or whatever it's called) sucks is because it's a button-masher (or whatever the term was) and the situations are implausible...this tirade runs a bit long, interjected with me saying things like "Are you wearing your retainers?" (yes.) "Did you pack pants?" (yes.) "Did you bring your i.d.?" (oops.)

At the station I text Olivia, then Becca, then Olivia. Finally they both, upon request, text message me a fuzzy, Samsung phone photo of Gabe's driver's license. It'll have to do. Fortunately, and as usual, the train conductor does not request any of our i.d.s. (Jeff's is safely stowed next to mine in my wallet. His wallet likes to get mislaid between trousers.)

I was just reading, yesterday on the elliptical, about how--even in 2005--Japan was so internet connected that the writer, while zooming south from Tokyo on the bullet train, had easy access via his laptop at 150 mph. Amtrak makes a stab at it, but it's a weak, pathetic stab. Occasionally my Toshiba claims that there's a detectable network..."Scott," or "gwt13b," or "trackUedu"...but the "Amtrak Acela" signal disappeared 50 yards out of the station and didn't work there, at that. Surely the Hilton Garden Inn, where we'll lodge tonight, will perform better than that.

I tucked the last oddments in the wheelie-case this morning with a realization that bemused me a bit. Here I was, stuff packed, papers in order, hotel, train, and rental car booked, and I had no sense of anticipation--no glint of wheee, a trip! It was just what I was doing today. Like, yesterday I took the girls for some garment necessities. Today I herded Gabe and Jeff out the door and onto the train.

It's the lack of partner, or companion. A compatriot is an energizing factor--someone who, by being aware along with you, validates and codifies the experience and any quirky observations and discoveries you may make. Without a doubt, this is much of what drives me to write it down. "Look! This happened! I was somewhere!"

Jeff gazes about, taking in little, unable to see or grasp anything I point out. He will remember essentially nothing. Gabe is on the verge of waking up to notice the new ways in which he--as a fledgling adult--must absorb and interact with his new surroundings and encounters. He will notice whatever piques his esoteric interests, and--on that level--he and I can talk. But not right now. He's reading The Hunger Games, and Jeff and I are a row back, polishing off o.j. and veggie sushi from The Fresh Market.

No comments: