Monday, August 30, 2010

Eat, Bray, Grouse...

Another night at the Copper Beech Inn in Ivoryton (named after piano keys,) Connecticut, and we'll head home in the morning. Mark Twain's house in Hartford--let me tell you--was well worth a visit. Not quite as fun, perhaps, as Monticello, but with an animated tour guide and a readiness for stair-climbing, it's a well-spent ticket price.

I gave some serious thought to taking us to Eat, Pray, Love, at a small, but cutely provincial, local theater after dinner but was put off by the 2 hour 13 minute length of the film. Honestly, I just wasn't sure I had the stomach for 133 minutes of self-important Julia Roberts portraying self-indulgent Elizabeth Gilbert. I'd rather watch it at home where I can temporarily stop the playback while I run screaming into the kitchen, kick a few things, and maybe make some popcorn. While some strange and masochistic, but poorly understood, compulsion requires me to put the movie on my Netflix queue, I'm not sure I can appropriately discharge the Julia Roberts frustration anywhere but at home.

Instead, it is possible that I will eat another chocolate chip cookie, purchased this afternoon at the Bishop's Orchard Farm Market. Jeff has given up after 5 minutes of a History Channel program which appears to be about a family of oversized men who like to talk about big things made of metal. Jeff gives up on most t.v. rather quickly, which is a shame in a way, because many of his AD peers find t.v. to be entertaining in the face of a illness that robs them of much else to do. Truthfully, he would not have gotten much out of Julia/Elizabeth on a global traipse to become a deeper, richer, and more sexually fulfilled person-of-abject-perfection, but at least we would have been doing it together. Which seems to work for him. Me, I crave a conversational reciprocity which almost-but-not-quite caused me to join a cluster of fishermen at the bar in the Black Seal Pub in Essex, CT, where we ate too much for dinner tonight.

No comments: