Saturday, February 13, 2010

when not in use...

Gabe and I like the bathroom door to be left open when not in use. Allows for air circulation, and a fresher bathroom experience when it’s your turn.

Jeff shuts the door when he leaves. Every time. It has not always been thus, but has become--in the past couple years--a predictable habit. We see it shut, and push it open.

”Hey, Dad,” says Gabe, as Jeff exits the downstairs bathroom (which, in general, is the only one Gabe concerns himself with.) “Look. Look at this...see the door? Leave the door open.”

As for me, I have given up on two things: Asking Jeff to leave the door open, and reminding Gabe that his efforts will be to absolutely no avail. He knows better, but he keeps trying. “Hey. Dad. Leave the door open,” says Gabe. Jeff replies, “Oh, you like it open? Ok. I’ll remember that from now on.” Then he very dutifully pulls it shut behind him.

I’ll push it open next time I go down the hall. This is about as important as whether you prefer your bathroom tissue to hang toward the front, or toward the back. As in, it’s not important. (hint: front.)

No comments: