Monday, January 04, 2010

ok...twenty-ten, let's see you.

Day four of 2010, and so far I like it. Even with the cold. Even walking back from Rams Head On Stage, through the darkened streets of Annapolis (after seeing Maggie Sansone and company,) in 20℉ (which I realize is piddling to those in more northerly climes.) Even with the cold, I like it. I cannot recommend long undies and hats strongly enough, but these are not negative factors.

Nor did I mind my usual morning routine of helping Jeff put his jacket on right-side out, cleaning up his spilled o.j., and pre-determining his need for an english muffin, a butter knife, a coffee cup, and some directional pointers.

I am presently waiting for the girls who, last night, announced that “going to breakfast” would be an excellent idea. It will not be my breakfast by the time they get up--it will be my lunch, or brunch or something...but food is good.

I like that it is the first day of Gabe’s last semester of high school. I don’t think he particularly likes it, but--for me--it represents the possibility of change. I cannot predict anything much. I cannot predict how Jeff will do as time goes on, or whether I’ll want to live somewhere smaller, or whether I’ll never leave...but just the potential for different choices, different activities, and--most likely--different challenges, at least engenders a slight serotonin spike, and I never argue with serotonin spikes.

But here we are, on day #1 of semester #8 (final,) in the coldest, darkest part of the winter, counting down the 5ish final months of getting up at 5:15 am, as the days progressively lengthen (yay sun!) and warm up.

To be sure, peri-menopausal moodiness is unlikely to have stayed behind in ’09, nor will have existential angst, but--yes, thank you--I will accept all good moods that care to apply.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you.

Emily said...

Oh, good. (?)