Monday, October 05, 2009

info junkie.

I confess: I got an iPhone, and I like it.

The thing is, I wanted to be different, and have a phone that would not be instantaneously recognizable by 90% of the population. So I looked and looked, but nothing would do quite all the things I wanted the phone to do...and here was the clincher: The problem with my Palm Centro was that the screen and buttons were too small and too hard for presbyopic eyes to see. iPhone is screen from head to toe, and it runs my Ultralingua conjugating dictionaries, budgeting software, Scrabble, a good calendar, a functional Wifi browser, an excellent note-keeping program, Googlemaps, and get this--a built-in compass! How could I not want that? Ironically, the feature I don’t make good use of, seeing as how this is an iPhone, is the iPod music thingy. Maybe if it plugged into my car I would, but it doesn’t. And I’m just not an ear-buds kind of person. Too visuo-kinetic dependent. My ears need to follow the lead of eyes and body, or I go nutso. It’s why I like speakerphones. The ears don’t operate well on their own. They get cranky.

Tomorrow, we lose our backdoor. Only for a week or so I hope, as the water-rotted threshold gets replaced with something that won’t allow rainstorms to backwash into the kitchen. Chessie will be perplexed by not being able to stare at us through the door’s window panes. Fredfred will have to adapt to exiting through the garage. We will lose some sunlight. I hope the job will go swiftly. This, in case you wondered, is why I don’t hire someone to paint the upstairs hallway. Because there’s always something else that must be done.

I am pleased to report that I’ve added at least 3 paragraphs to Bea and the Smart Kids. Seriously. This is progress for me.

2 comments:

European Prof said...

Do you also use the phone for conversations? I sometimes forget that this feature is also included.

Emily said...

Oh, once in a while...