Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I (do not) regret that I have but one life to give a swift kick to...

One can discern that Gabe doesn’t especially want to go away to college next Fall, but one is completely unable to conjure up a good reason for him to stay here.
And, forgetting one for a moment, I can think of a good reason for him not to stay here: Life, and the fact that burrowing in the computer room while Jeff snoozes in a chair and I try to buck myself up on St. John’s Wort and mental distractions does not constitute it.

I mean, life is weird, but you might as well try it. What else are you going to do?

In that light, our trek to New London to visit Mitchell College seemed a valuable distraction. A less valuable distraction was Janet the GPS, who was bound and determined to lose her suction and plummet off the windshield as a way of marking miles. Between that and...recalculating...every time we got within the shadow of a NYC bridge tunnel, she was a fun(?) companion.

As for Jeff, and do-it-yourself hotel breakfast bars, I am recalculating. He was extraordinarily resistant to help this weekend, in direct proportion to his increasing inability to distinguish between a bagel slicer and a toaster. Hence, he ate little for breakfast, and I think it might go over better if we all three just sit down and order.

Additionally, I have every intention of recalculating any route that takes me within shouting distance of the George Washington Bridge in NYC. Cross between 10 am and 4 pm? Yes. Then you’ll only add 1 hour of traffic-sitting to your trip, instead of 2 or 3.

There is something that impressed Gabe at Mitchell. It was the statue, situated mid-campus, of Nathan Hale. Of course he wanted it to be Moses Cleveland, who “invented” Cleveland. (Sorry, I can’t help you, other than to suggest you look up “Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video” on Youtube.) But since it was not Moses Cleveland, he was still pleased to meet a statue of the main character in one of his favorite PS3 games, Resistance: Fall of Man. The thing is, I’m pretty sure that that Nathan Hale, being a video game hero, does have more than one life to give for his country.

Anyway, let’s hope they take Gabe. There are 36 slots in the program to which he applied (“he,” meaning “we,” which really means “I.”) But he really did write the essay. And it’s not bad. And seriously, would you rather live near a statue of Nathan Hale, or have your mother ship you off to the Merchant Marines?

1 comment:

Pem said...

My son is over 18, so he will no longer be covered by my health insurance if he is not enrolled full-time in college. That has become in my mind a big reason why he needs to be in college.