Friday, June 06, 2008

hodge podgerie of dumbness


Some things are too idiotic to make public. Some people are idiotic enough to make them public anyway. I’m trying to decide (and, being of the above-mentioned ilk, admitting to it) whether I’m really going to find myself as directionless as it looks like soon. And what does one do with finding oneself a) not in the market for a job in the classic sense, b) without young children in need of attention, and c) with an (a)vocation which appears to have been proven untenable?

Many people might have an answer to that, and that’s partly because their vocations are not--or have not yet been demonstrated to be--untenable, so they still maintain a vision of pursuing them. But for the purpose of this exercise, you must assume your vocation has been ruled out. What then?

I can do some unilateral brainstorming and propose a few things.

I could become a scholar. I don’t know if it will work. My attention and focus have been pretty sketchy lately, but there’s much I want to study, in theory.

I could let other people hand me their ideas of fulfilling (or at least useful) volunteer work, but, frankly, I have enough and don’t want more. Nor do I want someone else’s idea of what I should do. It has to be at my instigation, useful or not.


As for fiction...it’s creative hiatus time. I’m just going to be working on other stuff for a while.


Sell Apple/Buy Bucyrus? I hate buying/selling. Makes me feel so...imprudent. And yet, and yet--if it is the one thing Mr. J is able to take a meaningful interest in and the proposed exchange has the hallmarks of a sound buy/hold decision and it’s a shift away from a more volatile industry...well, ok then. Ok.


Who’s up for another crack at Wagon Wheel in August? Me. I want to put the fiddle riffs where they belong. And this time we have to sing. Yes. Really. We’ll sing it. I’ll harmonize. It won’t be that bad.


Anyone want a lichen-hued, pollen-covered, nonoperational minivan? Right. Thought not. (No, you can’t jump it either. But you can call AAA and have them tow it to Hondaman.)

1 comment:

Rachel Clement said...

otay! wagon wheel. right on :)