Friday, May 25, 2007

relax

I feel in a daze of paperwork and confounding budgetary configurations. I don’t know what to make of having our social security disability claim approved. I was led to expect a couple of appeals, and at least as many years. Now I’m kind of freaked out about the whole thing. You mean the evidence really was that irrefutable? Even to the U.S. Government? It was irrefutable enough for me, but somehow having Uncle Sam’s stamp of approval has heightened my anxiety in ways that I don’t understand.(Maybe because I don't want handouts so much as health insurance for Jeff, and this is the only way to get it?) And this, shortly on the heels of the obnoxious insurance company reaching the same conclusion. Sheesh.


And then there is the ongoing logic puzzle that is the Concert Association database. My respect for Mel’s (its creator’s) multi-layered confabulation grows as I think of ways to, oh for instance, generate a list of all members who drive Buicks and prefer to wear straw hats to performances...but only on days when their mail was delivered before 11 a.m. Sort it by hat size, secondary to dog’s name...find all members whose house numbers are prime, then exclude the records of those who aren’t before switching to the Stonehenge layout. I’m getting the hang of this. But I’m still getting Filemaker Pro when Apple deigns to release the new Leopard OS.


Jeff’s mom called at 1:35 a.m. Tell Jeff he has to go see Al Gore right away! she says.

Jeff needs to go see Al Gore? I repeat.

Don’t you know? she says, the meeting is going on right now!

You’re with Al Gore? I say.

Jesus! she says, hanging up on me.

Which was another surprise. Both Al Gore and Jesus were at that meeting and we missed it.

No comments: