Sunday, April 14, 2013

Crazy reps...

Advice: If you ever find yourself in the backseat of a little golfcart-sized jitney, where Maryland House of Delegates member Virginia Clagett is wedged in the center between you and your companion, hold on. Tight. After just such an episode, it did not surprise me to learn that Hunt Cup racing is among her hobbies. As we trundled down the hill, toward the muddy site of a run-off mitigation project, Clagett suggested we attempt a slalom-style jump over the earth-berms which had been built to help slow the flow of horse-poo into the Rhode River. The driver didn’t do it. Can’t think why. Otherwise, Ms Clagett seemed a very nice lady, and we all dirtied ourselves anyway, planting a few cypresses along the borders of the berms and trenches. I'm hoping to post a pic. The South River Source (an online “what’s-up” site,) snapped one of Allen and me shoveling dirt for a couple saplings, and it will be sort of a game to see how close the lady came to spelling our names right.(edit: Why it's just of me, I don't know. Here I am being a slow digger. I needed different shoes is the thing.)

So, karmically speaking, I may be benefitting from having a friend in the County’s Watershed Steward candidate program, in that a couple handfuls of baby trees, (and a decent sized volume of mulch,) can now thank me for my meager but well-intentioned efforts. (Final pic, from the Annapolis paper webpage. We will caption it: Emily looks lazy while Allen (on left) helps the MD Dep't of the Environment guy, who has a bad knee, dig.)

No comments: