Tuesday, March 19, 2013

joinery

My friend Katherine pointed out that I haven’t blogged in a while, and I am well aware of that! 2013 washed in like Spring ice-melt down a parched gully, and while I can’t complain, I’ve been clinging tenaciously to exposed tree roots, and trying not to get washed too far downstream. Stress is stress, even if you mostly appreciate the causes.

I spent a bit too much of today trying to improvise a way to cut a beveled edge on a piece of toe-kick trim. This is the veneered stuff that lines the lower edge of the kitchen cabinetry, and it’s only been waiting 12 years for me to get around to it. The trouble with my carpentry skills is they’re only ever acquired on a need-to-know basis, and this is something I’ve never needed to know before.

I have had a prior need to know how to do some of the other stuff I’m working on this year, such as how do you begin to interweave your life with that of someone else? Thing is, last time I did that, life was a bit less complicated. I don’t seem to have any lingering useful know-how, now that I’m giving it another go. Muddle through. Relax. Don’t worry. Enjoy.

You don’t want to relax and muddle so much when it comes to circular or table saws. So, before I go whacking the wrong levers, it might behoove me to solicit advice on just how to flip my table saw blade to a 45º angle. Sometimes when I push on things, and they don’t budge, I’m not sure whether to push harder or to assume I’m doing it incorrectly.

As for the other thing--the person thing--I think I’m doing that ok. It is scary but lovely. Haven’t gotten washed away yet, and sometimes it’s ok to ride the current a bit.

No comments: