Friday, March 16, 2012

Broadcasting live from Queasy Square...

I’m not doing much this week. Well, a few things...I’ve loaded a laundry basket full of Jeff’s clothes, gathered hangers, toiletries and picture hangers, prepared a small photo album, and designated a comfortable IKEA chair as the one which will initially occupy a little of the space in Jeff’s room at Sunrise.

Jeff just asked me if I’d like to go back into broadcasting. Thinking of how to answer...”I’m not sure I’d like broadcasting,” I say. “I guess I wouldn’t mind working behind the camera.” What I don’t say is “Who do you think I am today?”

Soon I will pause, mid-paragraph, and follow him down the street again. Today, he is identifying every house in our neighborhood as being either “the old WBAL weather-station,” or “the new WBAL weather-station.”

There was a lot of paperwork. I’m pretty good at paperwork and convening the necessary documents. My accountant always thanks me for being organized. My contact, Kim, at Sunrise also seemed surprised that I got everything together so efficiently. I rarely feel either efficient or organized. I think I’m just apt to latch onto tasks as distractions.

Sunrise is 2 minutes from my house. 10 minutes if I walk. I can be there often. I can provide context even if I’m a broadcaster. Everyone from my Alzheimer Spouse cohorts to the move-in staff at Sunrise tells me that this will be more difficult for me than it is for Jeff. I don’t care how difficult it is for me. I’m used to difficult. Mainly I don’t want to bring him any distress. But if he stays here and I completely lose my equanimity (and it has threatened to depart many times recently,) I will be of no use.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look's like a nice place, and with person centred care. You're lucky to have somewhere like this so close by.
Good luck to you and Jeff.

Charlene said...

Glad you found a place so close.

Anonymous said...

Excellent you found a nice place close. You both will do fine with the change. It's the staff that counts!