Tuesday, July 19, 2011

They look good on me.

Today, when we stopped at the library, my sunglasses decided to surprise me by divesting themselves of the screw that holds the right earpiece to the frames. Still, I was able to manage for the next two legs of the drive by balancing them on my nose and one ear. “They look good on you,” said Jeff, who recalls that I recently got a new pair of glasses, and wished to comment in a helpful way. “Thanks,” I said. “They’re old and broken.”

I grabbed my not-so-trusty eyeglass repair kit (the one that comes with a small assortment of screws, none of which fit any known spectacles,) and we trundled off to lunch, me with the notion that I could fiddle with this project while we awaited food.

I don’t know why I thought that. I know I can’t do tiny work without magnifier glasses on, so I stashed the parts in a pocket of my backpack until we got home. Then I organized my tools. 1 tiny screwdriver, 7 worthless screws + the original which fell out, 1 pair of needlenose pliers, and the sunglasses, in two parts. Oh, yes, and my zebra-striped, supermarket +1.50 magnifiers, which I put on. “They look good on you,” said Jeff. “Thanks,” I said. “They’re just the magnifiers I bought at Whole Foods.”

After numerous false starts and a variety of attempts at ways not to drop the screw while finding an available set of opposable digits with which I could begin to screw it into place I did succeed in replacing the original screw. Otherwise it would have been Peeper’s Family Eyecare tomorrow. Where I get all my prescription glasses including my new set of progressives. Which, as it happens, Jeff thinks look good on me.

No comments: