Saturday, May 14, 2011

beds.

Assembling a bed should not wear me out. I blame my energy-depleted state on the nuisance of disassembling the old bed. Leave old iron brackets and 100 year old wood parts in place for a few years, and they just aren’t interested in budging without the persuasion of a rubber mallet.

But see—I did it. There’s the place where the bed used to be, now looking refreshingly blank, but not too cozy as a bedtime destination.

I’ve got a bit of trim to patch up on the antique full-size bed before it takes up its new home in Becca’s room.

My new queen-size bed is one I’ve admired for maybe 20 years, ever since I saw Bradford Woodworking’s booth at the American Craft Council show in Baltimore. It arrived in 5 hefty boxes, all of which were long and skinny except the one containing the headboard. Here are the first four pieces I put together. They’re joined by some rather hefty bronze bolts and barrel nuts, and I’m pretty comfortable that nothing will budge.

At a certain point in the instruction sheet, a helper is said to be required. I normally skip ferreting out a helper unless I’m truly desperate, finding that objects such as laundry baskets often serve nicely to hold parts in place while you fasten the various connecting hardware.

Still, I did not completely forego conscripting other people. To haul the mattress and box spring out of the hall and onto the frame I dragged Gabe and his friend Matt away from Portal 2 (on PS3) to do some lifting. Here’s the whole thing, all done.
I had already moved the wall sconce over a few inches (as far as I could without getting into things like junction boxes which are out of my comfort zone.) If you are a sharp observer you might notice that I also switched the two bedside tables, to gain a bit of space between the table and the bathroom door. Oh yes...there’s the rubber mallet too. A useful friend on many occasions.

So now I’ve made a report. Mundane? Ok, no argument. But just posting something will, I hope, free my mind to write my next Fisher blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job! I admire your creativity in providing "extra" holding help.