Monday, March 28, 2011

Sand, ethernet and wormhole socks

When Apple designed the 11" MacBook Air, they had to leave some stuff out to make it so slim and light. One thing they left out was an ethernet port. When I packed our bags for a short trip to North Carolina I had, likewise, to leave some stuff out in the interest of space conservation.

But I didn't have to leave out the dinky little pigtail of an adapter that converts a USB port into an ethernet port. I just forgot to bring it.

Here in Gillespie Cottage things are not so high-tech, and there is no wifi. Net access by wire only, thanks. So I'm about kicking myself. Mom's li'l Toshiba is here, and available mostly, but you know how I like my own stuff. Well, if you didn't, you do now. I'm blogging by iPhone. It's a pill.

Among the tasks: We've got some lattice to reattach to the deck railing to keep inquisitive small-fry contained. A bedspread to replace. (K-Mart doesn't sell bedspreads. What's up with that?) And about 6" of sand on the parking pad under the house that we'll have to call the Bobcat man to clean up. Except for the not-inconsequential portion our shoes will track into the car.

Meanwhile, we seem to have brought along a sneaky sock. It's Jeff's sock. This morning, when he went to put his shoes on before breakfast at the Holiday Inn Select, one sock had up and disappeared. So I got him out another pair. We ate. Mom and the waitress became fast friends as usual. Then, 20 feet into the lobby, the waitress charged after us with a left-behind object. It was Jeff's dirty sock. I cannot imagine from which part of his anatomy it must have tumbled, and I was a bit abashed to have left behind a crumpled sock, of all things. Well, maybe false teeth would be worse.

Anyway, we pressed on and got to Nags Head late morning by which time I'd noticed that Jeff had pretty well smudged his jacket and pants with pasty unidentified substances, so I got him a fresh outfit and threw the dirties in the wash. Including the errant dirty sock and its more well-behaved partner.

When I fished everything out of the dryer, the bad sock had once again vamoosed. Until afternoon errand time when I threaded Jeff into his clean jacket only to discover a sock dangling saucily from the cuff. I'm not sure where it had been planning to jump out--probably while we were eating dinner at the Outer Banks stalwart, Owens' Restaurant.

But I caught it. Who knows what that sock will try tomorrow? Next trip, I bring my ethernet port adapter for sure, but screen socks for precociousness.

3 comments:

basil said...

Well, I've googled Owen's Restaurant and the food looks good. I didn't notice any sock. !?
It all seems a bit freaky sometimes, to be able to do this.
Anyway, sorry to be PCA bore but have a read of this, if you wish, skip page 28 and read 29 if it's too much for an iphone.
http://www.carouselguide.co.uk/pdf/Carousel_47_Pat_Moon.pdf

Bob Moors said...

try this

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/turn_your_iphone_into_a_wi-fi_hotspot.php

Emily said...

Bob--I've considered "tethering" but don't want to pay the monthly fee. As for "jailbreaking" the iphone...maybe, when I'm ready to upgrade and not afraid to break it!

Basill--Thanks for the link! I SO relate to the problems Pat, in the article is experiencing. There isn't much, relatively speaking, on PCA, so it's good to see anything.