Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Some cats can dance.


Yesterday, Jeff had a conversation with Chessie the cat. Chessie is a good cat--stout of stature, good of heart (mostly,) and only inclined to whine when you disrupt her poundage from atop your chest. So, as cats go, you might as well talk to her as to any. But, when asked by Jeff whether she knows how to tap dance, Chessie did not respond in any meaningful way. Becca, meanwhile, seated at the kitchen counter (unlike Chessie, who was seated in the chair at which Jeff was addressing his question,) did respond. “Are you talking to me?” asked Becca. “If you’re talking to me, I’m over here.” Jeff indicated that yes, he was talking to her, but he still said all this to Chessie, who did not assist in correcting him. As far as she was concerned, I’m sure, his behavior was completely appropriate.

Conversations with cats pose no problem. I wonder, though, about the ifs and whens of implementing other measures to which I’ve given pre-need consideration. When will I employ sitters? Should I investigate day care? I’m already concerned about leaving for more than the shortest of outings. Not that Jeff does much. I think the most pressing trouble he might get into would be locking himself out of the house while on a front yard stick-breaking expedition. Troublesome thought, when it’s below freezing. Should I move him downstairs? Yet? Don’t know that it would suit him. Don’t know how he’ll respond. But I do know that, if not before, the first time his visuo-spatial system fails to navigate the staircase, to hazardous effect, will be the impetus.

It is common wisdom, among the AD caregiver community, that most caregivers initiate any kind of change--day care, in-home help, placement, hospice--later than they should have. I completely understand why.

No comments: