Wednesday, March 31, 2010

11, give or take 37.

We sure are having a terrible day for such a good day. The little weather gadget in the upper right corner of my Tosh is shining a bright sun and a "66º F" at me and, indeed, we just returned from a dog-walk where I had to go sleeveless it was so mild. But the weather in Jeff's head is a thick and barely penetrable London fog. Today I made strides, and crossed a few items off my to-do list, while striving to help--without patronizing--my spouse. It isn't easy.

I've said it before, but when days like today reinforce the principle I'm moved to say it again: It's when an AD person needs the most help that he most resents it, so careful treading and a backup plan of thick skin is fundamental. Today was in fact so far to the dysfunctional end of the bell curve that I didn't even get the "what a controlling bitch" vibe from strangers, because it was undoubtedly evident to casual observers that I was dealing with an impaired person. Just now, exactly before I typed this sentence, here's what I did. I got up from my counter stool and helped Jeff place his wine glass on the eye-level shelf. He was inserting it at a 45º angle, quite obviously unable to calculate whether to lie it down or stand it up. At lunch, he could not pull a chair out at Lebanese Taverna without knocking into the man behind him and being stuck, flummoxed. So I led him around to the other side of the table, positioned a chair for him, and we both sat on the same side, out of the way of other diners. Returning to the car, I headed to my door, whereupon he stopped, turned, and began to approach the door of the black SUV behind us--the one with a lady getting out, who might have been a bit disturbed by a rumpled man trying to enter her vehicle. Again, subtlety be damned, I gently led him around to my passenger door, opened it for him, and he got in.

My friend Katherine recently sent me a link to an article describing how a certain line of research posits that the plaques of Alzheimer's are a response to inflammation. This squares well with my observations of the past half-decade. I sense the inflammed times--they manifest as periods of Jeff's feeling more tired and more unwell--and I expect, based on experience, that what will follow is a step down to a lower plateau of function. Last month I noted unwellness. This month I note diminished cognition.

Apart from our outings, he does little. He sits in his chair, half dozing. (Chessie, our chunky diva feline is presently taking advantage of this for a back rub.) He goes outside and stands in the yard or the driveway. He enjoys the sun when it's out, and likes to watch the world. Not that there's much of the world to see from our street, but it seems to be enough. Or he naps, purposefully.

Bottom Line Personal, to which I most decidedly did not subscribe (although they like to pretend you did, and send you issues in the hope that you'll re-up when notified,) arrived in the mail today. The headline article is about "The Happiness Project," and summarizes the findings of a journalist, Gretchen Rubin, who collected reports via her website on what strategies stood out as effective in upping the happiness quotient of humans. Subscribed or no, it caught my eye, and I read the synopsis with interest. It did not (despite what the article suggested) surprise me.

#1. Seek novelty and challenge. I know this one well. I can feel serotonin spikes in my very own head, and I am keenly aware that they are triggered by adventure. It is no wonder, given the boundaries of my recent life--an immature young adult, still in need of daily guidance, and a spouse who needs a sitter--that I am feeling a bit mired in the doldrums. I'm worried about next year. I've been anticipating for a long time--with Gabe in other hands--the opportunity to take Jeff along on adventures...adventures that, really, are for me. I don't know what I will do if he becomes no longer capable. Strategy #2 (and I will skip the rest for being more obvious and pedestrian,) is to try doing whatever you enjoyed doing at age 10. Ok, as for me, I'm going to say 11. Because 11 was my favorite age. At 11, I was likely to be looking for someone to play with. No surprises here--I still am! The playground is limited, but I am very excited when I get a moment with a peer. (And here we will define peer as someone who can carry a conversation!) Oddly, I feel very much like I did when I was 11. Bored, diddling around. I tend to berate the child that I was for not being industrious enough--and I am trying to make up for it now by learning, reading, writing...but at 11 your world is limited. There's your house, your community, and what fun you can make of them. How did I end up 11 again? Funny little world.

3 comments:

European Prof said...

I am sorry to read of the loss of cognition. I am very interested to learn more about Jeff before his Alzheimers. I know that he had some connection to home repair, and that you are obviously a gifted writer and someone with academic leanings. My guess is that he was far more than just a home repair guy or else you two wouldn't have clicked.

Perhaps you can occasionally write some sort of tributes to him that celebrate your fondest memories and greatest appreciations for him. This may also be therapeutic for you, and help you in keeping perspective.

Emily said...

That is a very good idea.

Rachel Clement said...

yup.