Tuesday, February 24, 2009

shufu to you too

Chapter test #1, Japanese, is tomorrow night. Gabe has been a bit remiss in memorizing a short list of college majors and careers, so I made a study help--clip art of the various things, labeled with the Japanese word. The shufu illustration was especially chosen to reflect my feelings about the word. Yesterday we were reviewing: Shufu I say. Um...office worker? Gabe guesses. No, I say, housewife.

You’re sort of a shufu, says Gabe. No, I absolutely am not I assert. Shufus do not write fiction. Shufus do not install tile and hardwood floors. Shufus are not the only people in the house who can fix your computer. Shufus do not jump-start cars and fix bicycles. And shufus do not learn Japanese.

But you’re sort of a shufu, Gabe insists. Sort of NOT, I doubly insist. It is a detestable word, in any language.

As such, my clip art shufu is watching soaps and ironing--neither being an act I commit if I can help it. Further, I submit that even the word is an anachronistic concept in today’s society anyway. There are people of all ages and genders whose lives don’t necessarily revolve around standard salaried employment, and I’m quite certain you would not accuse them all of being shufus, and I utterly decline the designation along with them.
But still Gabe. Learn the English translation. It might be on the test.

The pc, meanwhile, is (as I’ve alluded to,) in need of serious help. It’s a phenomenon how much crap can drift through the net-ether when one browses anime and fan fic sites. Downloading spyware removers has added burrs to hair-knots, and I’ve resolved--at this point--to learn to live with protection-racket software. We will try Kaspersky. It’s on its way. In the meantime, once the pc--now reinstalled from scratch--is reloaded with the usual line-up (Firefox, Windows Media Player, Guild Wars of course...) I will try to make a ghost of it on an external drive, possibly (but not definitely,) reducing the size of the headache the next such episode gives me.

No comments: