Friday, December 07, 2007

Can we fix it? Yes we can.

Gripe du jour: Why are there 3 random pairs of scissors hanging around when I don’t need them, and not a one to be found in any logical location when I do?

Meanwhile, Olivia and I have both earned extra stripes for our Rosie the Riveter badges. Last week practically-useless electrician #2 verified the wiring from the thermostat to the relay box to radiant heat pump #3 (installed, but as of yet inactive,) but declared that is was not within his purview to troubleshoot further. So I felt good and stuck. I visited Radiantec’s website where they promise they’ll stand behind you forever and ever, then gave them a call. Help, says I, whatintheheck to I do next?

Inasmuch as I was able to follow Darryl-the-tech’s instructions, I am proud. Undo pump #1. Hook #3’s wiring to that spot in the relay box. (Surprise--pump #3 whirred into action for the first time ever. Darryl thought it wouldn’t.) Ok, so it’s not the pump. Switch the little boxy relay plug-in thingies around. (No dice.) “Jump” the thermostat input thingy by inserting stripped wire (e.g. paper clips) in the holes. (Surprise again--the constant flickering of indicator light #3 stopped dead to nothing. Darryl thought it would light and stay lit.) So, the relay for pump #3 is just bad and we need a new box. $192 later this thing should be fixed. I will earn another stripe by hooking up the wires correctly. Not once did I have to say what the heck you talking about Darryl? Because I had studied the system. And, remarkably, I’m getting the hang of it. And why practically-useless electrician #2 had not bothered to check to see if the pump works, I’ll never know, because I’ll never call him again.

Then, Olivia came home with two flat rear tires. We jacked, we de-lugged, and we put the spare on the flattest one. Olivia did it, with me as coach, and should be able to do it again when the need arises. As Mr. Tire has now outfitted us with an entirely new set, I trust the need won’t arise any time soon.

We drive Jeff around with us and ask him questions which he very often knows the answer to...it’s just that for him knowing and doing are in two different parts of the brain which are quite unequal in neuronal supply. It has been quite a freaky thing to go from just-not-worrying-about-that-stuff (because I had a handyman onboard,) to needing to comprehend the ins and outs of an entire, somewhat obscure and specialized, house. Sometimes life is just about fixing stuff.

Sometimes I look around, and I think can someone who knows what’s going on and how things work just help me with this? And I know that I’m in that position you’re in when you realize that you’re on your own and your daddy can’t save you anymore so you’re just going to have to figure out how the hell to work it out. So far I have. So far.

No comments: