Wednesday, March 21, 2007

hush little voice

There is the slightest chance that med #2 may be having the most slight of positive effects. I feel rather glumly certain that med #1 has had no such benefit. (so do we keep buying it at ridiculous name-brand drug expense? Why?) But as for #2...could it be responsible for the reduction in backyard flotsam...the steady progress on door refinishing...the near-completion of a chapter book (ok...Robert B. Parker, but what the heck.)?

How does one even know? What if it is helping? Of course I am glad if it is. Of course I must be glad if it is. Of course I want to see the best things I can see. Of course. It is best to smile and ignore the second little voice screaming from the back of my brain “Why don’t you just kill me now and get it over with?? What? You think I want to go through this again?

Of course we will ignore that little voice. And of course, we know that any benefit derived from med #2 will be temporary, and will not change the timing or the direction of the eventual trajectory. But of course--if one more Spenser book can be read...if one more decent conversation can be had--who would turn that down? And we can ignore the little screaming voice. Or at least pat it, and say “there there,” as it shrieks “you’re teasing me! Don’t give me a warm fuzzy if you’re not going to let me keep it!”

No comments: