Thursday, October 12, 2006

Speaking of clutter...

When I was in first grade I had a friend by the name of Eileen who liked, above all, to take the role of pedagog. I can’t recall all of the ways in which she attempted to instruct me though I do remember her awkward demonstration of ballet first and second position. Another standout moment involved her explicit instructions re how to fill out one of the schedule blanks found in the inside cover of a black&white marble composition book. I was to write (or draw,) in this order: star, check, yes, plus, ok. Seemed like a complicated sequence for a space meant to show a clock time, but Eileen seemed pretty sure of herself, so I didn’t argue.

This is what I thought of as I tried, again, to navigate the AppleWorks database program I’ve inherited from the elderly gentleman down the road. It contains membership data for the Anne Arundel Community Concert Association. I’m sure that every single data field in that program made perfect sense to him as he constructed it, but for me it’s like rummaging through someone else’s junk drawer of random objects to find a screwdriver. AppleWorks, sadly, is a lame duck. The data, in this format, cannot be transferred to the computer of anyone who uses a PC. I’ve a strong urge to retrofit the entire computer-geek records job using FileMaker. But I can’t. Because my iBook is too old to use a new version of FileMaker. I’m not doing any major overhaul on AppleWorks because it’s a dead language. It's entirely possible that I'm just too dumb to jump into someone else's game. But I could make it make sense to me with the right tools. Which I don't have. So for now, or until my G3 processor begins showing its age enough to really annoy me, I’ll be bumbling along, trying to sort through the buttons, old bolts, and other assorted flotsam, looking for a screwdriver.

No comments: