Monday, January 03, 2005

Nonsense, of different sorts.

What next when you’ve just finished what is most likely the dumbest story you could ever write? Tossing it seems unfitting. I plan to revise, revise, and maybe revise a bit more...but since I really tend to edit myself all along, revision generally amounts to little more than some changes in phraseology. It may crisp up a bit, but a turn of phrase won’t change the underlying premise, which is an absurd trifle. But at least if I march forward laughing, eventually pitching my little manuscript through the doorways of the club with the big bouncers who remind me of that nasty game called “Red Rover” I had to play in first grade...well, maybe I’ll still be laughing when they snarl and toss it back out.

I've just polished off a little bag of cookies from the Korean grocery. I have no idea what they're called, but they look and taste like miniature vanilla wafers. The bag is decorated with what appears to be wiggling, winking, pigeon-toed gumdrops wearing eggshell helmets and licking their lips. There's something disorienting about a bag of cookies with writing, and subwriting, which might as well--from my pov--be written in Martian. I don't remember being as disturbed by meaningless characters when I was pre-literate, but now--to be faced with packaging that mocks me with its utter indecipherability--I lament my limited mind, which hasn't assimilated all existing forms of human script. I take small ...very small...comfort in the single comprehensible item on the bag--a trio of arrows in the recycling triangle, surrounding the word "other." At least I know these gumdrop babies go in the trashcan, not the yellow bin.

No comments: